Remember the The Right of Public Access & responsibilites

Respect and care. Do not disturb or destroy anything in nature.

The Swedish Right of Public Access gives us a unique opportunity to roam freely in the countryside. With this right, comes several responsibilies to be considerate and careful with regard to the countryside, wildlife, landowners and other visitors. The basic rule is easy: leave no trace, do not disturb or destroy.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Right of Public Access:

Where can I pitch my tent?

You can pitch your tent or hammock for one night. Remember to not disturb the land-owner or damage the environment. Pitch your tent on solid ground. Do not use pastures, arable fields or plantations or pitch the tent close to dwellings. If you are a group who wants to pitch several tents, you need the land-owner's permission. Remember that tenting generally are not permitted in nature reserves except in special designated camp sites.

Take your litter home

Take your litter home with you to be able to recycle or take it to the garbage bin. 

Can I cycle and ride my horse in the woods?

In several of our recreation areas there are specific paths for bikes and horses. Paths and wet or sensitive ground are easily damaged by spurting horse's hooves and turning bicycle tires. If you go riding on the forest tracks, stick to the middle.

Why do I need to keep the dog on the lead?

There are a lot of people in our recreation areas. Out of respect for them and for wildlife, we recommend that dogs are kept on the lead all year around. Between March 1st- Aug 20th, dog owners must observe strict rules and dogs are not permitted to run free in the countryside, due to The Hunting Act. This means that you need to have your dog in a leash. But dogs must be kept under full control at all times. Remember that there is mandatory leashing in most nature reserves.

Can I make a fire?

You can make a fire, but we recommend that you use our specified fireplaces that are safe. Pay attention so that the fire does not spread and make sure you have enough water to extinguish it. Always check if there is a fire ban. Remember that nature reserves have special rules.

Can I park my caravan or camper van in nature?

No, you can't. According to the law (Terrängkörningslagen) you are not permitted to get off the road. This means that you can not drive on any public land in a natural environment. If a marked road ends, don't try to pass it - nor on meadows, fields, yards or beach. Check the local rules for staying overnight at parking lots. In our recreation areas: never empty the latrine and never pour "grey water" in nature. Head for camping sites with smart systems and service! Remember that it is forbidden to park overnight in many nature reserves.

What are the rules in nature reserves?

Several of our areas, or parts of them, are nature reserves. A few examples are Navröd nature reserve in the northern parts of Snogeholm and Traneröds mosse, Grindhus and Lilla Klåveröd in Klåveröd nature reserve. Keep in mind that these areas limit the Right of Public Access. On the information signs and in the folders for each recreation area there is information about the rules that apply in that specific area.

Outdoor access rights in other languages

The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency has produced pamphlets and leaflets about the Right of Public Access in a range of different languages. Read more