The Right of Public Access

Respect and care

The Swedish Right of Public Access gives us a unique opportunity to roam freely in the countryside. With this right, comes a responsibility to be considerate and careful with regard to the countryside, wildlife, landowners and other visitors. The basic rule is easy: do not disturb or destroy.

Outdoor Access Rights in other languages

The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency has produced pamphlets and leaflets about outdoor access rights in a range of different languages.

Read more (

Frequently Asked Questions about outdoor acess rights:

Where can I pitch my tent?

You can pitch your tent for a couple of nights according to the Right of Public Access. Remember to not disturb the land-owner or damage the environment. Choose to pitch your tent on solid ground and do not use pastures, arable fields or plantations. The tent may not be close to dwellings. If you are a group who wants to pitch several tents, you need the land-owners permission.

Can I cycle and ride in the woods?

In several of our recreation areas there are specific paths for bikes and horses. Paths and wet or sensitive ground are easily damaged by spurting horses hooves and turning bicycle tires. If you go riding on the forest tracks, stick to the middle.

Why do I need to keep the dog on the lead?

There are a lot of people in our recreation areas. Out of respect for them and for the wildlife, we recommend that all dogs are kept on the lead all year around. When you pass through pastures, be sure to close the gates behind you.

Can I make a fire in the countryside?

You can make a fire, but pay attention so it does not spread and make sure you have enough water to extinguish it.

What are the rules in nature reserves?

Several of our areas, or parts of them, are nature reserves. Keep in mind that this limits the Right of Public Access. On the information signs and in the folders for each recreation area there is information about the rules that apply in that specific place.